When COVID first started coming on my radar, I got to work on researching everything I could to find about the nature of this virus. I wanted to know what family it belongs to, what the structure looks like, and how it manifests itself. I wanted to gather my supplies and be ready in case we needed to face this thing. I still have my list that ranges from tinctures and herbs to supplements and food that would help at various stages. The list is quite extensive and gets into the weeds a little too much for this blog post, but I wanted to share some of the highlights since we are getting into the months when people are gathering more often to celebrate. I hope this is useful to you and inspires you to incorporate some of this into your regimen so it becomes more of a habit and something you don’t even think about.
- FOODS are the most important thing above anything else considering all the sugary treats that we will be tempted with over the next couple months. Especially now, you should be choosing foods rich in flavonoids, which are powerful antioxidants with anti-inflammatory and immune system benefits. Some examples are sweet potatoes, carrots, leeks, mushrooms, kiwis, oranges, lemons, just to name a few. Other rock stars are garlic, ginger, apple cider vinegar (ACV), and fermented foods which can be gut game-changers. Knowing that 80% of our immune system is located in our gut, it is vital that we feed it nutrient-dense food.
- VITAMINS that can make a difference: Vitamin A, C, D, and K. Every night I take a Vitamin C and D supplement from Young Living. If you start taking vitamin supplements, make sure they are sourced from a reputable company and you know the method of extraction. I trust Young Living because of their Seed to Seal guarantee. They also infuse oils in their supplements which increases the absorbency rate to 87% in the first hour (which is unheard of for a supplement). Minerals like Potassium and Magnesium, as well as iodine (especially if you are normally low) can make a HUGE difference.
- ESSENTIAL OILS that can be particularly powerful are Grapefruit, Frankincense, Tea Tree, Peppermint, Balsam Fir and Myrtle. Again, know where your essential oils come from and if you are looking for premium therapeutic essential oils and want someone to walk you through, I’m here for ya! Simply click on TheNinjaOiler.com and you can get hooked into The Ninja Oilers (we love to educate and have FUN with wellness).
- SUPPLEMENTS make it super easy to incorporate the good stuff. I do concede to my kids when they are rebelling against eating their greens and I allow them to take MultiGreens, a powerful supplement with spirulina, alfalfa sprouts, barley grass, bee pollen, eleuthero, Pacific kelp, and of course essential oils. Here are some examples of the supplements we use in our household to specifically keep our immune system STRONG: OmegaGize (DHA rich with Vitamin D3, plus CoQ10, Omega-3s); Master Formula (Vitamins A, D, E, K, turmeric, clove, and D3), Super C (Vitamin C); ImmuPro (3 kinds of mushrooms, zinc, and selenium for proper immune function, along with other chelated minerals; SuperCal Plus: calcium, magnesium, K2, and D3; Mineral Essence: Magnesium, Potassium, Sodium; MegaCal: Calcium, Magnesium and Manganese, C. Last but not least, we always have Inner Defense in the house which is a powerful combo of essential oils like Oregano, Thyme, and Thieves, in a soft capsule.
- TINCTURES: Coltsfoot – a perennial plant that looks similar to the dandelion. Do your research on this for sure; Lobelia – good for respiratory, but can be potentially toxic; Lungwort Tea – respiratory comfort; Whole Organic Clove Buds – yay for eugenol!! Black Seed Tea – good for respiratory comfort.
I realize there are other factors like sleep and stress that definitely impact our immune systems. If these are thorns in your side, I implore you to exercise, walk, run, lift weights, find a workout group, go outside and touch the earth while doing some stretching – ANYTHING that requires movement so you can get your lymph system moving and your brain to reset.
Some of you might be wondering how important our immune system really is when it comes to viruses. Our immune system plays a crucial role in mitigating viruses. There are three main things that dictate how someone’s body will react. 1) The size of the inoculum and the number of virulent particles that enter. 2) The pathogenicity of the virus. 3) The resistance of the host and the nutritional status of the host, our IMMUNE SYSTEM!! With each food, product, and lifestyle decision we make a choice between wellness or disease. These tiny decisions when piled up can make a HUGE difference in your quality of life. Choose wisely.
So as you move through the above list of 5 tools to help with your immune system, just pick a couple of things you are going to do to make a positive difference. Once those things become a habit then pick up a couple more things. Anything positive you are doing is one less negative thing you would be doing at that time. I pray that you can move into 2021 refreshed, renewed, and ready to kick butt!